This page displays when information was last recorded for selected students in literacy or numeracy. Teachers can view, record and update observations against selected learning progressions indicators for individual students.
Contents of this article:
- How to access View by class
- How to use View by class
- How to enter and save observations in View by class
How to access View by class:
- Select the PLAN2 tile on the ALAN homepage.
- PLAN2 opens to Class observations page as the default page.
- From the menu (three horizontal lines in the top right corner), select ‘View by class'.
How to use View by class:
In the selection panel (left side of the 'View by class' screen), follow these steps:
- Select Domain.
- Select Year.
- Select Class. You can use the search tool to find a class.
- Click 'Generate' button to display the summary table.
View by class - Summary view
The summary view table shows the list of students in the selected class and when the last observations for each sub-element were made. The students' names are grouped by year level and sorted alphabetically.
In the summary view table, you can:
- Search for a student - use the search tool to find student by name
- Filter students - select which students you want see on the table
- Filter columns - Select which sub-elements you want to see on the table
- View when an observation was last recorded. The recency is shown in the table cells:
- White = No indicator set
- Dark blue = Last observation recorded is less than 5 weeks ago
- Royal blue = Last observation recorded is between 5 and 10 weeks ago
- Light blue = Last observation recorded is more than 10 weeks ago
- Click on a cell to go to the detail view.
View by class - detail view
- Click on a cell to view the latest indicator data for a student.
- The detail view table displays the columns:
- Indicator status
- Comments - you can click inside the comment box to enlarge the comment box and view the full comment. To close the pop-up comment box, click again inside the comment box.
- "Observed in class/group" - which class/group the observation was made
- By (author)
- To view previous data and comments, click the history count (displayed beside the comment box). A pop-up screen will display.
How to enter and save observations in View by class:
In the View by class detail view table, follow these steps:
- Select a status in the Status column.
- If applicable, type in a comment in the Comments box.
- Before saving, ensure that the 'Observed in class/group' field has a value and is not empty.
Note: The 'Observed in class/group' field will be auto-populated with the student's roll class or group. If you want to save the observation in a different class/group, you can select another class/group from the 'Observed in class/group' dropdown list. The dropdown will list all the classes/groups that the student belongs to.
- Click the save icon or 'Save all' button to save your observation.
- You can select status for multiple indicators then use the 'Save all' function to save all the statuses in the selected indicators.
- Click the undo icon if you do not want to save your changes.