This function to batch upload student records to ALAN applications is available to CSNSW and AIS schools only. You must be an ALAN_ADMIN user to access this function.
- Upload new students via the staging facility
- Review and edit student records in the staging facility
- Confirm student records ready to transfer
Upload new students via the staging facility
- Log in to the ALAN portal. We recommend using Chrome web browser when accessing the ALAN Administration.
- In the ALAN homepage, click the 'Administration'. This will open the ALAN Administration page.
- In the ALAN Administration page, click the 'Upload students to staging' button.
- From the 'Upload students' page, click the link ‘New students spreadsheet template’ to download the spreadsheet template file. The file will download to your computer.
- Use the spreadsheet template to enter your new student records. Please follow the instructions and data formatting specified in the spreadsheet template.
- Important for Year 7 students: Please fill out the 'LBOTE', 'EAL/D', and 'Aboriginal/TSI status' fields. These are additional fields used for the Best Start Year 7 assessment.
- Save a copy of your updated spreadsheet in your computer.
- Once your spreadsheet file is ready for upload, go back to ALAN ‘Upload students’ page then click the ‘Choose file’ or ‘Browse’ button. This will prompt you to browse and select your spreadsheet file from your computer.
- Select and double click the correct spreadsheet file from your computer.
- Click the 'Upload' button.
- Wait for the upload process to complete. Do not close or refresh the page.
- A message will display on the page to confirm whether the upload process was successful.
- If the upload was unsuccessful: A message will display on the page to provide you with information about the upload errors. You will need to amend your spreadsheet before uploading again. An example of an error message:
- If there are possible duplicate student records found: You can either choose 'Ignore these warnings and upload this file' or 'Don't upload - start again'. When you select 'Ignore these warnings and upload this file', you will overwrite an existing student record (already existing in the staging facility) with your new record.
- Once the upload process is completed, you will see the list of your new records in the 'Edit students in staging' screen (refer to the steps below).
Review and edit student records in the staging facility
- In the ALAN homepage, click the 'Administration' tile. This will open the ALAN Administration page.
- In the ALAN Administration page, click the ‘Edit students in staging’ button. This will open the ‘Edit students in staging' page.
- The 'Edit students in staging' page will display a list of your student records in the staging facility. Student record types are:
a. "New students": student you have added recently via the 'upload students' facility
b. "Existing students": students who have been rolled over from their previous year level to their future year level
NOTE: Students who have been rolled over to their next year level will have blank roll class ('No roll class'). You can change the students' roll classes by editing the student details.
c. "Left / No longer enrolled in this school": students who have been marked as no longer enrolled in your school, and will removed from your student list; e.g. student has transferred school or student has been rolled over from Year 6 to Year 7.
- You can edit a student's record by clicking on the student's name on the list. Click the 'Save changes' button to save your changes.
- To add or remove a student record from the staging facility, follow these steps.